Sunday, February 14, 2010

1974 Volvo aka the Calvin and Hobbes car.


i have been contemplating for some time now to write a book based on the vehicles (read beaters) i, and my friends had when we were younger. most of the stories i remember and pass on to my kids revolve around vehicles.


i think it was mostly because - in the day - vehicles didn't have to be safetied. yes, that meant they were inherently dangerous but what wasn't when we were younger?


so here's my first missive. i encourage anyone who reads this to send me a picture and story surrounding their vehicle of choice. it should be fun.


the above car was a 1974 volvo. i use the term 'was' because it is no longer. it ended up - as most of my vehicles did in the 80's - as a pizza car. a term we coined because, when the vehicle was beyond repair we'd call up the wrecker and the driver would give us a crisp $20 bill for the scrap metal and we'd order a pizza.

i bought this car from a friend of mine - nelson 'nails' olfert. i hadn't intended to buy it but when i was asked to do some stand up comedy in yorkton, saskatchewan just before christmas circa 1988, i didn't have a vehicle with which to get me there. so i asked nails if i could borrow his. i told him i'd pay him $100 if he'd let me use if for the weekend. he said, 'for $100, you can have it.'

so i bought it.

i could bore you with the details of how, to this day, those 4 days in yorkton were the worst days of my life. from the rube-infested 'bbq pit' at which i did my comedy; to the food poisoning i got a bonanza (serves me right, when you can see your reflection in the block of cheese at the salad bar something's wrong.); to the fact that the generator on the car failed an hour outside of yorkton; to my motel room with the misspelled pizza advertising pamphlet; to me doing jokes about escalators and realizing that there was none in yorkton.

but that's not what this is about. it's about cars. and my volvo was a beauty. as you can see by the picture i cut in a moon roof and cut off the back completely - i always wanted a rumble seat.
when it rained i quickly headed into a back alley and looked for an open garage to wait it out in. (i freaked out a house wife once who was taking out the garbage)

one cold day, during the MCA (the annual biggest curling bonspiel in the world) i ran into sev for a slurpee and left the car running. when i came out it was gone. (don't worry, i made it to my game.) i called the cops and reported it stolen. after i described the car to him - brush painted white; calvin and hobbes drawings all over it; roof cut off; the cop asked me whether there were any distinguishing markings on it.

my bro-in-law called me two days later to ask me why my car was parked outside his apt. i took the big orange pumpkin to his place and drove it home. the keys, as well as my hockey equipment, were still in the car.

i have more stories about this car but i want to get the ball rolling. please, submit some stories/pictures to me @ rickloewen@rainyday.ca and i'll add them to this post. it should be fun.

cheers, rick

2 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Jean Bergen said...

Boy, I think I remember seeing this car when I first met you in 1984. I believe it, (or some other car you owned), was the first time I had ever seen such homemade modifications done to a vehicle. Meeting you and Harv's brother Gord all at the same time was like being introduced to both ends of the automotive spectrum! I think the picture speaks to which end you were on.
Question - What's the story behind Nelson Olfert's nickname "Nails"? If it's appropriate to tell.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Jean Bergen said...

Actually Harv is writing this.
It seems appropriate to mention the "Tomato"(orangey-red in color) or "Rink-mobile" as we named it because we would drive it to Stienbach when we were in the men's curling league. Our rink was made up of Rick Loewen, Brock Coutes, Norm Friesen and me. The car was a 1969 Chev Impala 4-door. it had a factory 12-bolt positraction rear end which made it very difficult to corner on icy streats in a conventional manner. That 327 used quite a bit of oil and I remember feeling bad when I would run it right out. Rick, you always seemed to help me deal with that guilt. Anyway, we would fill up that crank case with used oil we would get from Rene Shultz. Rene was working at an oil change place and would save used oil for me (re-cycling at its finest before it was trendy). I remember the winter of 1982 being extremely cold and for some reason that Impala would not heat. We were often completely bundled in snowmobile gear and one guy had to continually scrape the inside of the windshield while the driver attempted to navigate through frost covered windows.
We took our curling game on the road that winter and travelled to Fork River. Coutes couldn't make it and for some reason Wes Koop was in town and we got him to come to Fork River with us. We stayed at my parents place on the farm and we made it home, well almost home and the last corner into our driveway presented a problem. I clearly remember turning the steering wheel and that car turned 45degrees of the 90 required. Into the ditch we went. We pulled it out with the tractor.
Also on that trip (you might have to help me here), I think we ran out of gas. You guys decided to stay in the car as i volunteered to run a couple of miles to a farm for some gas.
I can't remember what happened to that car. I'll have to ask my brothers the next time we're together. I think it's parked in the bush behind the farm in Fork River. Quite a typical ending for vehicles in the Prairies.

Rick, feel free to edit. I may have missed some detail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home