Sunday, May 30, 2010

1976 Honda Civic Wagon


This is my 76 Honda Civic four door wagon. It was the second of two identical ones. I don't remember what happened to the first one. The top picture is me and my friend Harvard Jameson Bergen - you can see Frosty hamming it up inside the car.

On the bottom photo its me with Frosty and Nails. We're outside the Perkins @ Polo Park in Winnipeg.

As you can see, I had once again painted 2 SPORTS GUYS on the car. Nothing like a little advertising for a cable access show.

This car was famous not so much for how it lived but for how it died. For about a month I could feel the CV joint was slowly going. I knew it was only a matter of time before it disintegrated completely so I was prepared for the ultimate break down. I was driving north on Pembina Highway towards confusion corner when the gear completely stripped. I coasted into the parking lot at confusion corner and came to a stop. The irony being that the car continued to run - and quite well I might add. My first decision was to leave the car running - I wasn't going someone else use the gas or let it go to waste; keep in mind I'd only ever put $5 at a time in but I still had some principles.

Then I took my backpack - like I said I had prepared for this moment - and took out a screw driver. I took out my stereo which I had installed under the dash with a pair of pipe clamps and drywall screws and put it in my backpack. Then I popped out the speakers which I had set into a temporary back dashboard - read piece of plywood - and stuffed them into my backpack as well. I took off all my keys save the one in the ignition and walked away, leaving the car running.

A few days later I got a call from the tow truck company - they had tracked me down through my license plates - and they told me I owed them a couple of hundred bucks; for the tow and the subsequent storage. I told them I didn't want the car back and that I wouldn't pay them. That first conversation the "woman" from the towing company was rather nice. As the phone calls continued though, she got more and more beligerent. Finally a man came on the phone and swore at me and told me I had to pick up the car. I laughed and hung up.

A few times after that I'd drive by to see if my car was still there. It stayed there for quite a while until one day it was gone.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home